Friday, June 4, 2010

Adventures of Buxom Bruxism












"I sleep with a night guard"
"You what?"
"I sleep with a night guard"
"..."
"For clenching and grinding my teeth"
"Oh I thought you meant the night security guard who works at your building"

My roommate asked me a few weeks ago if I clean my night guard, as they get pretty gross with built up spit and bacteria, not to mention the fact that I leave it on a dusty shelf everyday. So, I quickly responded with an aggressive "Um...duh." I was so offended. That is, until I realized last week that I can't remember ever having washed it in the 6 months I've had it.

3 comments:

  1. I would like it to be noted that I have worn a retainer every night for 6 years and have washed it every morning. This post only applies to My Dear Gem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Gem,
    Now that you've confessed that you normally do not wash your night mouth guards, one just hopes that you sleep alone.

    By the way, did you know that bruxism is caused either by stress or misaligned set of teeth called malocclusion? Since you do not like to waste any time washing your mouth guards, why not try to do away with its use completely?

    Simply enroll at one of the several stress-busting programs or practice yoga, deep breathing or meditation at home. If you need professional help to reduce stress and calm the mind, talk to a psychotherapist about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

    Once you stop teeth grinding, frame the smelly mouth guard for posterity.

    More about this topic, just to share:
    http://www.teethclenching.org/category/how-to-stop-grinding-teeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack! You’d want to take better care of that mouth guard before it does more harm than good. Or better yet, work up the bruxism and try finding out how to eliminate it completely. BTW, the conversation was epically funny! :D

    ReplyDelete